Wednesday 5 February 2014

2014 Blogger Challenge #3 | The maze runner trilogy + prequel

What's the 2014 Blogger Challenge?
It was started by Gaby from AnotherGirlyBlog. Two posts will go up each month (towards the beginning and middle), each with a different topic.

This week's topic: Once upon a time...
I mentioned The Maze Runner trilogy (The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure) by James Dashner in my 'A few of my favourite things' post, but I haven't dedicated an entire blog post to it. It deserves one. I read the trilogy (The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure) and prequel (The Kill Order) about a month ago, but updates on the movie are still exciting to me.

The Maze Runner cover.png  maze-runner-image
Left image. Right image.
  The Plot
This reminds me of The Hunger Games. I mean, it's not exactly similar, but they have things in common. They also run for their life in a contained setting, with 'cameras' watching their every move. Basically, each month a new person arrives in the Glade, knowing nothing about their past, except for their name. Each person has a job within this community, but the story focuses on the runners. They risk their lives running out into the maze each day, searching for an escape route and returning each night before the gates close and the Grievers go wild. They find out about W.I.C.K.E.D's role in creating the maze...

The Characters
They are quite similar to what you would expect in a dystopian society. There's Thomas, the brave one with strong morals, is unexpectedly good at the most important role and believes that he could have some impact on the world. There's Newt, the former runner and one of the 'leaders' of the group. He has been discouraged from running, but remains to be one of the vital characters in the series. And Teresa is the one girl who raises confusion amongst the boys. You don't know which side she's on until the end.

The Writing
The children of the community have developed their own version of English. I thought that was quite interesting because it adds some integrity to the story. It shows how they've created and organised their own community, and that part can't be controlled by W.I.C.K.E.D. The writing definitely sucked me into this world of fear and instability, but I wouldn't say it was the best. I connected with the characters and understood their reasoning when making decisions, which I believe to be really important. You have to understand their personality and logic to make the characters more believable.

The Books
I would probably say that you must read the entire series and the prequel to fully understand what went on prior to the maze. The government's reasons in creating this 'world' are clear once you read all four books!

The Movie
September 2014!
From the pictures I've seen, they look very similar to what I visualised when reading the books. I'm excited for the cast and the characters they are playing. Don't you just love it when a series you love is made into a movie?

What do you think of the Maze Runner series? Or what have you been reading?

Hello-worldxo

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this book, and I've always wondered if it was any good. I loved The Hunger Games, so anything similar is a must read! I'll definitely check into these soon. By the way, I followed you on Bloglovin'! I would love for you to check mine out as well! :)

    http://www.beautyandbliss67.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely check it out! It's just as great as The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting to finish the Eve trilogy to start reading these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard of that trilogy, but it sounds like something I would enjoy :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting!